Components of the police in-car camera system
The police in-car camera video system includes a front-facing zoom camera, digital video recorder, LCD, and a police wireless microphone system.
Here are the 4 advantages that police car cameras have over police body-worn cameras.
1. The in-car camera system is locked.
2. The car camera is activated automatically by triggers set up by the supervisors such as the light bar, siren, or radar.
3. The video recordings are transmitted via wireless Wi-Fi private network from the in-car camera system to the police headquarters server without the officer handling the original video evidence. This preserves the chain of evidence in court.
4. The key advantage of the police dash-cam or in-car video is its ability to capture a wider visual scene. The in-car camera is normally 10 to 15 feet (4.57 m) back from the incident and this gives it a greater perspective than a body camera.
The basics of the police body camera systems:
The body-worn camera for law enforcement includes a small digital video recorder worn on the chest of the officer, powered by a rechargeable battery.
Here are 3 advantages of body-worn cameras:
1. The point of view is often close.
2. The body-worn camera is usually HD and the video is sharp and in the large .mp4 format.
3. Body cameras include a feature called pre-event recording. This enables the police chief and courts to see a minute before the officer started the recorder, allowing us to see the build-up to the incident.
Here are the disadvantages of police body cameras:
1. Battery life is often limited to hours of continuous recording.
2. The officer controls when the body camera record is activated and stopped.
3. Wearable video cameras designed for police have to be pointed in the right direction to get the incident recorded correctly. So by the officer just turning in the opposite direction, it defeats the body-worn camera.
4. The police body camera policy needs to be written in a way to not onerous on the police officers since the job is very stressful and setting up video action shots should not be the biggest concern on their minds when an incident is happening in front of them.